Friday, April 2, 2010

Journal #6 Interactive Boards

Interactive Boards
An interactive board is an interactive display that connects to a projector and a computer. The projector projects the connected computer screen onto a white board. The controlled users use a pen, finger, stylus, or other digital devices to control the projected computer screen. With interactive boards you can also interact with shared online resources, which are provided through interactive websites. Teachers are able to save notes written on the board as an electric file through the software supplied with the interactive whiteboard. According the to discussion regarding Are Interactive whiteboards necessary?, one user replies that she thinks so. She views the smartboards as a “look at me, the teacher. I’m up in front, you’re in your seat listening” type of technology, white the projectors and laptops change the dynamic of the classroom in a more powerful way. Students have shown more interest in classroom interaction with the use of the interactive whiteboards. In the discussion about SmartBoard or Promethean, a user writes that the Smart notebook software cannot be freely used by anyone. Their website states very clearly about downloading it and copyright rules. In the discussion, users collaborated about the idea of interactive boards being more useful in a certain grade. One user disagreed with another that interactive board “are better in primary grades.” She mentions that the interactive boards are used at her elementary and Junior High school, and says that she has observed their use at all grade level and doesn’t see a marked difference in engagement of the students.

http://www.classroom20.com/forum/topics/649749:Topic:130054

http://www.classroom20.com/forum/topics/smartboard-or-promethean

4 comments:

  1. I remember when I was in High School, the librarian of our school received an Interactive Board. She was very excited about it and began to use it in every lesson she gave to us. Not only did we get sick of the same type of lesson given every time, but she always would have difficulty using this technology. Though maybe since it has been a few years and they have had time to work out the bugs, I still feel that more time was wasted during class working on or fixing or trying to figure out the board then was spent teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a difficult and excessive thing to do. What ever happened to overhead notes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first tool that I read about that had some debate on it. It was interesting. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been in a class where an interactive board was being used, nor have I ever heard of it. It seems a little complexed. I'd rather stick to the overheard notes = ) lol

    ReplyDelete