Elliot, J and Maguth, B.M (2010). Using Podcasts to Develop a Global Perspective. International Society For Technology in Education. Retrieved February 11th, 2010 from: http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=February_No_5_4&Template=/MembersOnly.cfm&NavMenuID=4495&ContentID=25244&DirectListComboInd=D
This article is about developing a global perspective by using podcasts. At an advanced high school in Columbus, Ohio for math, science, technology and engineering, students are creating and sending podcasts "to engage students in learning about other cultures." These podcasts allow students to interact with others all over the world about global issues. According to the author of the article, global issues include terrorism, disease, famine, economic development and more. In the United States today, economic development and terrorism and disease are current issues we are facing. The author makes an important statement about "Educators being responsible for not only making students aware of global challenges but also teaching them about the cultural diversity of our world. It is essential that students learn to understand, respect, and even collaborate with culturally diverse global populations if they are to find solutions to these challenges." Using podcasts, students learning in a new hands on/ visual way. They also allow students to be creative and have fun with the podcasts, instead of researching and writing papers. Students are introduced to having a global audience which encourages them work harder on their assignments. The article explains that "Having an authentic audience via the Internet motivates students and encourages them to appreciate culturally diverse perspectives."
My first question is How could the use of podcasts be incorporated into schools more?
I think it would be a great idea if a program or website would be created for all schools interested in using the podcasts. This website or computer program would be just for students to post their podcasts and view others. It would be used for educational purposes only, and by this it would have to be a website similar to blackboard. All podcasts would be sorted by grade, location, and subject matter, making it easier to search.
My second question is Would most students have difficulty creating podcasts? If so, what can be done to be made easier?
Yes, I do feel that most students would struggle with the podcasts. I only say that because I don't know how to create, edit, and post podcasts. Although I do feel that if I (and others) became familiar with such computer programs like Garageband, that I would be much more confident with podcasts. If the use of podcasts were to be used more in education, then I feel that students should be required to know how to create them.
No comments:
Post a Comment