1. This article talks about how the Federal government supporting artists, musicians, actors, writers, photographer, and dancers during the Great Depression. A project called A New Deal for the Arts was created to promote American art and culture. It is said that the projects saved thousands of artists from poverty. Although, controversy sparked from the idea of art projects. Many people such as politicians saw the art programs to be wasteful, while on the other hand, many people wanted to expand them. This archive gives an overview of the remaining art work from the Great Depression and gives descriptions of each piece and how it was important during this period of time. Archives such as the one I chose can be extremely useful for students as a visual aid when learning about the Great Depression. Also as the site says, the artwork are great examples of the American creativity during a time of tremendous change and trial.
2. The groups of students who are at risk for experiencing achievement gaps are; the racial and ethnic minorities, students with disabilities, those who come from low income families, and English language learners. In the article about, “Becoming a Culturally Competent Educator,” I found several areas that I would incorporate into my teaching style. An idea that stood out to me was the idea of networking and outreaching to other schools and educators. By doing this, they could gain ideas and more information on how to become a culturally competent educator. It would also be important to include this process into the class curriculum. I also was able to relate to the topic about gathering and organizing resource materials related to culturally diverse groups for use by school staff. I have experience with organizing and filing and it is something that I would enjoy doing. Therefore I would be interested in organizing resource materials related to culturally diverse groups within my classroom. Included in this organization process brings me to my third idea to collect cultural information about each student at each school. This information would be accessible for all students, staff, and parents.
3. Cyber Bullying: 6-10 points: Cyber Risky
Even though according to the self-test on cyber bullying, I am “Cyber Risky”, I wouldn’t consider myself an endangerment to be a cyber bully. I do admit that at times I may use vulgar language on the internet, but never do I use it in a way to harm others. Now that I took that quick quiz, I have realized that I need to be aware of what I type on the internet.
I would use the page that discusses the four types of cyber bullies, and what methods work with the different kinds of cyber bullies in my classroom if I become a teacher. The four cyber bully types include; The Vengeful Angel, The Power-Hungry and Revenge of the Nerds, The Mean Girls, and he Inadvertent Cyber bully or Because I Can. Knowing the different types of cyber bullies is important for students because they become aware of their actions on the internet.
I would also use the page that discusses Instant Messaging 101. This would be extremely important to incorporate in an elementary classroom because this is the age group where children start using Instant messaging. Cyber bullying is seen in instant messaging the most.
4. For the “Subject Access” area, I chose the Back to School and End of School Resources. This site consists of back to school checklist, technology activities, themes, end of the year planning, first day of school activities such as ice breakers, and many more. Being prepared on the first day of school is very important for teachers, and It also creates a better atmosphere in the classroom. I would use probably most of these resources in my class to prepare myself for the first day of class.
For the “Teacher Helpers” area I chose the Presentation Support page. This page has links to Kathy Shrocks’ presentation support pages. There is a list of different presentation titles, each linking to the support page. I would use this support page in my classroom for myself and have my students use it when they have questions outside of classroom time. One of the links on the page provides even more links to sites on Computers, Curriculum, Communication, and the Classroom. It mentions that there are “hands-on workshops providing guided practices in the use of educational subject directories, online tools for teaching and learning, effective search strategies, critical evaluation of Web pages, and creation of an online collaboration area to enhance home-school communication.”
5. Intelligences quiz: 1st place was Bodily-Kinesthetic (67%), second place was Naturalistic (58%) and third place was Interpersonal (50%). The video on multiple intelligences that I watched was called “Multiple Intelligences Leave No Child Behind”. In this video, they discuss their mission to base their school curriculum on Multiple Intelligences. I found this very interesting because instantly I felt that this school is something I’d be interested in and would most likely enjoy attending. I always felt that schools should adapt to their students learning styles. This way, students would feel more comfortable and confident with learning because they are focusing on their strengths rather than their weaknesses.
In high school, at times I felt unconfident in class when teachers taught in ways that didn’t connect to me. I would become upset and feel “dumb” at times. I knew I was smart if I had certain people outside of class teach me the same material through a different approach.
6. Grade: Kindergarten
Topic: Identifying ways to promote acceptance and friendship.
This lesson is designed to assist students in identifying ways to promote acceptance and friendship among their peers. The idea of creating the “friendship pizza” is a great way to promote acceptance and friendship amongst Kindergarteners. For the lesson, the teacher created pizza toppings and ingredients with construction paper. The crust and sauce was covered with accepting and friendly thoughts that the students’ thoughts of during a class brainstorm, and each topping had a friendly and accepting word written on the front. The students picked their favorite toppings, and no matter which topping was chosen, they all had friendly and accepting words and phrases written on them.
7. The two questions I found most interesting were “What percentage of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender high school students report that their teachers “never” or “rarely” respond to homophobic remarks made by other students, according to a national study done by GLSEN?” The other question I found interesting was “According to the National Center for Education Statistics, what is the percentage of U.S. schools with no teachers of color on staff?”
The reason I found these two questions to be most interesting was not because of the question, but because of the answer. I was shocked when I saw that 84.5% of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender high school students report that their teachers “never” or “rarely” respond to homophobic remarks made by other students. Could this be because they are homophobic as well, or do these teachers not know how to respond to the situation? As for the second question, 40% of U.S. schools have no teachers of color on staff. I had never thought about this question before I took the Multicultural Education and Equity Awareness Quiz.
8. On the Netiquette Quiz I got an 80%. I was familiar with all of the information on the quiz, just made minor mistakes when answering the question. I do feel that the The Core Rules of Nettiquette would be important to teach to students. It can be extremely crucial : | for students who do not understand the core rules of netiquette, and in some cases it may even be dangerous. Today’s youth uses technology on a daily basis, and they are the ones who have created this Nettiquette.
No comments:
Post a Comment